Continuing our journey along the Freedom Trail, the next sights we see are: 
 

OLD CITY HALL OLD CORNER BOOKSTOREOLD SOUTH MEETING HOUSE

 
 
A statue of Benjamin Franklin welcomes you to the next stop on The Freedom Trail, Old City Hall.  This elegant 8 foot bronze statue of this famous native Bostonian, American statesman and inventor has graced this location since 1856. Franklin’s statue drew lots of attention when first installed for being Boston’s first public statue of a person.  Franklin’s place of birth was just one block away on Milk Street, across from the Old South Meeting House.
 
 
 


Inscription on the Front:
Born in Boston, 17 January, 1706.
Died in Philadelphia, 17 April, 1790
 
 
 
Boston’s Old City Hall ,is home to the city council from 1865 to 1969 at 45 School Street. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was designated a U.S. National Historic Landmark in 1970. It now houses a number of businesses, organizations, and a Ruth’s Chris Steak House.  Thirty-Eight Boston Mayors served their terms on this site over a period of 128 years.
 
 

 
 

One of the three statues in the courtyard at Old City Hall.  An 1862 sculpture.

In front of the donkey are two bronze footprints “stand in opposition” and a plaque explaining the Donkey’s origin as the party’s symbol.

 

 
 
It’s history dates back to 1828 when Andrew Jackson established the Democratic party and ran for president using the populist slogan, “Let the people rule.” His opponents thought him silly and labeled him a “jackass”. Jackson, however, picked up on their name calling and turned it to his own advantage by using the donkey on his campaign posters. Over the years this donkey had become the accepted symbol of the Democratic party.
 
 
Inside the main door there is a large mural of the Boston Latin School school yard depicting Sam Adams, John Hancock and Ben Franklin. 
 
 
 

 
Embedded in the sidewalk in front of the Franklin statue is a mosaic commemorating the site of the first public school in English America. The colonists quickly established the church, and then the school. In 1635, the school opened. This was the famous Boston Latin School, which has flourished from that time to now. The first school building was located on School Street, just to the right of today’s mosaic and where the Benjamin Franklin Statue now stands.  It was located at this site until 1844 when it relocated to the Fenway, just west of downtown Boston
 
Although it has long since moved, Boston Latin remains a prestigious public school and the oldest educational institution in the country, antedating Harvard by a year.  The school still flourishes today, with its high academic standards. It can boast of a Hall of Fame of famous graduates, including: Samuel Adams, Henry Ward Beecher, Leonard Bernstein, Charles Bulfinch, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Edward Everett, Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock, Robert Treat Paine, Joseph Kennedy, Henry Knox, Cotton Mather, Wendell Phillips, Josiah Quincy, and Charles Sumner.
 
 

The “carpet mural” is a hopscotch diagram, but details within its borders recall old-fashioned games and Boston traditions. Latin’s motto, beneath its image, translates “Work conquers all – Opportunity for all.”

 
 
 
 
At first glance, the Old Corner Bookstore looks like a newer red brick building on a busy downtown Boston corner. Currently, a jewelry store occupies its first floor. Only a small plaque on the side of the building confirms that a bookstore once operated here. It was built in 1712 as an apothecary shop and office and is one of Boston’s oldest surviving structures. It was restored in 1960.

Built in 1718 and one of Boston’s oldest brick buildings, the Old Corner Bookstore started life as a commercial space – and that’s what it still is today. Occupied in the 19th century by the company that published famous authors such as: Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Charles Dickens, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and Louisa May Alcott, many of whom were frequent visitors to the store.

 
 

 

 

 

The Old South Meeting House was built in 1729 as a Puritan house of worship .Benjamin Franklin was baptized here. It was also the largest building in colonial Boston and and a natural gathering spot for the colonists as they grew increasingly weary of English rule.  It was here that Sam Adams, John Hancock and Joseph Warren helped to instigate the American Revolution.

The Old South Meeting House is best known as the site of where the Boston Tea Party began. In the winter of 1773, more than 5,000 colonists gathered at Old South in a meeting to protest the tax on tea. After many hours of debate, Samuel Adams announced, “This meeting can do nothing more to save the country!” Protestors stormed out of the Old South Meeting House to the waterfront where they dumped three shiploads of tea into Boston Harbor. They changed American history forever.

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

“An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.”
— Benjamin Franklin

 

@ Patty